7 ways to change your mind…
The news is out! We are not victims of circumstance or biology. No matter what your past or history entails the good news is change is possible. Here are seven ways that you can change your mind, and life, with the help of mindfulness practices.
1. Live mindfully – that is, consciously, with awareness and conscious choice. Living mindfully means bringing conscious awareness to everything you do.
2. Relate to experience directly – try using your senses rather than through thinking, analyzing or judging all of the time.
3. Stay in the present – resist the urge to dwell on past events or worry about future “what ifs”. Staying present involves noticing and accepting your day to day, moment to moment experience as real and valuable.
4. Avoid avoiding all unpleasant feelings at any cost – try to welcome all feelings and emotions as temporary messengers who have something to tell you. Feelings are neither good nor bad, they just are and they do pass.
5. Accept things as they now are and go from there – instead of how you would like them to be. Don’t waste energy on struggling with discontent.
6. Learn to see your thoughts as just thoughts, not facts or reality. Some thoughts are factual, some may be incorrect – learn to choose which thoughts are most helpful to you rather than focusing on whether they are true or real.
7. Practice self-compassion daily. Be kind to yourself, learn to be your own best friend and treat yourself with the kindness, compassion and respect you want.